Tuesday, 19 March 2013

It's official

We broke the record for snowfall in our city this winter, with just over 196 centimeters of snow (about 6 1/2 feet).   Oh, yippee! :(

On one hand it is good since we'll have lots of moisture this year, on the other hand we have to worry about flooding.

The last house we lived in, was the lowest on the block, and I had a flooded basement two years in a row.   When we bought this place I made certain to check the lay of land (so to speak) and my house is actually the highest so hopefully we'll be okay.  If not, I could be in trouble as I don't have a sump pump or a backwater valve installed.

So even though there is still a lot of snow pack we're all hoping for a slow melt.  The temperatures we've been having will ensure that.

Spring arrives in less than 12 hours...I'll be ready and waiting (and waiting, and waiting!)

3 comments:

Old Kitty said...

That's some snowfall!! I too have everything crossed that Spring arrives on times - asap!! Yay! Take care
x

Fuzzy Tales said...

That's an obscene amount of snow. We got dumped on Monday night, maybe 12 cms or so, and that was too much.

Happy friggin' first day of Spring.

Olga said...

Way too much snow!
My husband's business was located next to a river and flooded a couple of times when the thaw started and the river ice jammed up. Not a pleasant experience.