Tuesday, 26 March 2013

A long time ago

Fifty four years ago to be exact I met my mom and dad for the very first time.  I don`t remember anything of our first meeting but I know the details.  I know, because the nurse who delivered me  attended parties at my families home, and when T was drunk tipsy, she would pull me aside to share the story.

The doctor was delayed and I was in a hurry.  In such a hurry in fact, that I was born in the amniotic sac intact, which T had to cut open which resulted in fluid splashing all over her.  This was the sordid detail she liked to remind me of as often and as publicly as possible.  Not the thing you want to hear when you are 14, 17, or even 25, but now I think it`s kind of interesting.  It was a good thing I weighed in at a mere 3 pounds 6 ounces (1530 grams) or I suspect my mother would have hated me forever.

Mom always said I was a colicky baby, at least she took me off the formula the doctor prescribed, and put on Carnation 2% evaporated milk and corn syrup.  This would give any medical practitioner the fits these days, but I thrived on it.   Dad was the one who got up in the night with me, as he was a farmer and was away during the day.  I'm his first child, and as result was a little  lot spoiled.  He told me he would lay me down (on my stomach, another no-no today) and pat my back until I went back to sleep.  He told me he would count to 500 and occasionally fell asleep leaning over the crib.  Like I said, spoiled.

Today, on the anniversary of my birth, I've taken the day off work.  If I could pass one law in the world, it would be everyone would not have to work on their birthday, and be able to relax and enjoy it as they chose.  Since that isn't the case, ever since I've been able to arrange my schedule I've taken the day for myself.

It hasn't been an exciting day, but and enjoyable one...at least for me.  I slept in briefly, was woken up by a friend calling to wish me Happy Birthday and then I puttered around the house before doing some shopping.  What a treat to be able to shop on a weekday morning when the stores are less busy.

I came home with my packages to find a lovely gift on the table; a lovely chocolate dessert.  I'm sure you'll laugh, I didn't realize what it was and stuck my fingers into the box to lift it out, and stuck my fingers right into the icing!

For the rest of the day I plan to relax, enjoy some cuddles with the cats, dinner with C and D, and simply enjoy my time off.  Didn't I say something earlier about being spoiled?

Have a great day everyone!

5 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Happy Birthday! I'm envious of the chocolate dessert...yummy!

There's NOTHING wrong with being spoiled.

Fuzzy Tales said...

Happy birthday! Yum to that dessert! I have my b-day booked off (coming up soon), but I'll likely end up taking Nicki for his anal glands in the morning, do my own thing in the afternoon.

Had to laugh over all the "no-nos." It's a wonder the human species has managed to survive for tens of eons, isn't it? :-)

Olga said...

Happy Birthday to you.
My husband and his partner always took their birthdays off--okay when you own your business. I am at the age where I try to ignore my birthday now.

Ann said...

Happy Birthday to you, mine was the 21st and I took the day off too. It's the best way to spend your birthday

Pasha's Mommy said...

Happy Birthday! We were born on the same day, but mine has a whole different story :)