It has been a wonderful five weeks, full of adventure, opportunities to try new things, to create new routines, as well as time to simply relax. I feel rejuvenated - I hope that feeling lasts more than a few days. Oh well, I'll pretend I'm Scarlett and worry about that later. :)
*****
I woke up yesterday morning and thought to check to see if Mr. Bunny was around. AND he was...with a friend!
I assume they are sitting as they are to keep out of the wind, but they look like bookends holding up the fence. (which needs painting!)
He looks very healthy and round. I'm not sure what they eat at this time of the year, perhaps my evergreen?
Later on, I checked again and the second bunny was missing. I took a look to see if he/she was in the back yard and there it was.
Neither seem nervous when they see me, perhaps they realize I'm no threat and of course, I'm inside so not close to them.
*****
I got some more housework done yesterday, though I must admit I've not accomplished as much as I'd hoped when I got back from B.C. In my dreams, I was going to scrub the entire house from top to bottom this week. Ha! I'm much too easily distracted by knitting or reading.
Speaking of knitting, I finished my socks! They are little wide in the foot but very comfy. If I make another pair I'll be sure to reduce the stitches after I complete the heal turn since the leg and heel fit fine.
I had to finish the two projects I took with me, and I did...even if I didn't get the second sock finished until I got home.
*******
Over the past few weeks I've eaten a lot of soup. This is not normal, at least for me. I've never been a big fan, I like food I can pick up and eat.....soup certainly doesn't fit into that category. But cooking for one, I found soup to be a quick and easy meal, whether I paired it with a sandwich or a salad.
My two favorites are Italian wedding soup and Fiesta vegetable both by Campbells©. I love the little meatballs and spinach...I think it's spinach in the former, and the slight spiciness of the latter. So yesterday I decided to make my own bean and vegetable soup.
I went to my favorite recipe website, Allrecipes.com., typed in black beans and vegetable soup and found a great recipe. I read through some of the recent reviews and used those to help me modify the original.
Here's the recipe as I made it.
2 cups chicken stock
1 19 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 19 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 341 ml (about 11 oz.) can whole kernel corn
1/2 medium onion, diced
10 baby carrots sliced
2 gloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons chili powder (recipe called for cumin as well which I didn't have)
2-3 turns of the pepper mill
Heat oil in pot over medium heat, add carrots, onion and garlic and saute until onions are softened. Add chicken stock, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, and ground pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 35 minutes.
To serve I added a bit of shredded cheese, but you could also add tortilla strips or sour cream or a bit of all three as a garnish. OMG it's a good soup if I say so myself. There were so many suggestions on how to change it up in the reviews; add beef or chicken or add more beans to make it more hearty or add different spices, peppers or hot sauce to increase the intensity.
Sorry, Campbells© I don't think I'll be buying this soup any longer...not when I can make my own!
*****
That's it for me. The rest of the day I'll be sitting in front of my television watching the provincial curling. There are four provincials championships to be decided today! I'm in heaven and the rest of the housework will have to wait.
Have a great week everyone!





2 comments:
I love to make soups of all kinds. I never have it from a can.
I haven't bought soup for years; I make my own, too. As for the rabbits, I thought the first picture was a mirror image.
Post a Comment