Saturday, 7 February 2015

A walk in the park

I've been trying to walk as much as possible since I got home but the weather hasn't been cooperating.  It's either very cold (-30C with the windchill) or it's snowing and blowing and cold.  A couple of days ago we got a break, the temperature was only -10C (14F) with little or no wind so I took advantage of it.

It would nice if there were walking trails near my home and while there is one...I wouldn't call it interesting as it winds through the residential area giving one a view of backyards and not much else.  While it seems counter-intuitive to have to drive to take a walk that is pretty much my only choice so I headed down to Wascana Park.  I parked out front of the Legislative buildings and walked from there.

The dome of the Legislative building is being refurbished, hence the enclosure and crane you see in the photo.
The building faces Wascana Lake, which is a man-made lake created during the Depression years as a government project to create jobs.  In recent years the lake was best known for its algae bloom each summer (oh boy did it stink), the Canada geese that flock to it and of course the slimy goose poop that goes with them.  

About 10 years ago the lake was drained of its water, and dug out in order to deepen it in an effort to decrease the amount of aquatic weeds, and improve the water quality.  Or another words, a government project to create jobs.  Actually it did work - at least temporarily - I expect it will need to be dredged again in future years.

The lake is bordered on the west end by the Albert Street Memorial Bridge.  The bridge was built at the same time as the lake.  It is known as "the longest bridge over the shortest span of water".  The lake drains into, what else, Wascana creek which flows out to the west and is a respository for bicycles, shopping carts and sundry other items.  It's true!  Every year there is a spring clean-up and it's incredible how many stolen bicycles are located.

My favorite part of the bridge are the columns  They were re-painted in 2009 and I believe a couple had to be replaced.  To me, they are unique and interesting and add a touch of whimsy.





I took the path that was created alongside the bridge.  This was also created in 2009 and allows walkers to cross over the lake and away from the bridge traffic.  They also created an lookout area.

There were thin ice signs all over the park....pretty apparent by the open water.  

The walking path wraps around the lake.  I only planned to walk for an hour so I didn't follow it all the way around.

On this side of the park there are often festivals held in the summer and fall.   The band shell often hosts concerts (some of them free). 








I walked as far as the skating area, probably about 2 kilometers before turning around and heading back the way I came.

Despite the warm weather, there were no skaters about, but there were lots of other walkers and a few runners enjoying the sunshine.


On the way back, I stopped at another lookout point.  This is the east side of the Legislative Building and you can see the enclosure of the come more clearly.

There is a path that leads down to the lake from this view point but I was in a bit of hurry so I didn't check it out. 


As I was walking back to the main pathway, the light on the spruce tree caught my eye.  I don't think my photo does it justice - it was very pretty!








And this sign just made me laugh!

It was a pretty day, not too cold as long as one is bundled up. Hopefully we'll have lots more of those this winter so I can get outdoors and walk.  Just walking to the grocery store or Walmart isn't as interesting and a heck of a lot more expensive.

Have a great weekend everyone!  
















1 comment:

Katnip Lounge said...

It's fun to see where you are! I always come home invigorated after a walk.