The day started cool and wet with rain showers. It didn't stay that way.
No, it bucketed rain! We got 36.8 mm (1.45 inches) of rain today and I think most of it came down while we were unloading the truck at D's apartment. :(
She's been staying at the apartment with the boxes she's moved over in her car. She made herself a bed on the floor with lots of pillows and has been fairly comfortable though I know she's happy to have her bed tonight.
Yesterday we went shopping to buy a few items. We picked up a toaster oven, a garbage can, some shoe storage, oven mitts, and some kitchen tools. I'm not sure how/where she managed to misplace or just simply not find some of these items in the boxes she had stored in the garage. The toaster, as we used hers when mine quit working, and then I purchased another just a year ago when hers died. Storage is an issue as this apartment is probably 400 square feet, maybe a little larger. We found some over the door shoe storage (the girl has a LOT of shoes) and the score of the day were two boxes for storage under the bed. They were on clearance at Jysk so she paid under $4 for each.
Her couch had to be left behind because it is a huge overstuffed monstrosity. Apparently it's comfortable as both she and her brother have been known to sleep on it. We checked a number of places but the door way into the hall up to her apartment is very narrow (31") so nothing we found would have worked. I ended up ordering her a roll-away bed from Walmart. With lots of cushions it will work as both couch and day bed.
The move was pretty quick, we had every thing loaded and unloaded with 2 hours. She didn't take everything as it was raining so hard she decided to leave some boxes behind. She'll be over to the house tomorrow to clean her room and her corner of the basement. Good thing she was moving out of my house and not another apartment. There was a friend who met us there and helped with the heavy stuff. I convinced my son to come too by reminding him the faster she moved, the sooner she would be out of the house. :)
After dropping her brother and I back at home, she headed back to her apartment to unpack and organize. I'd had a few texts, she got the bed set up, the table re-built (we had to take it apart to get it through the door), the bookshelves filled, and most of her clothes unpacked. Later she texted to say she had been doing dishes and unpacking more boxes. I think she'll sleep well tonight!
I spent the rest of the day doing laundry, cleaning kitchen cupboards, vacuuming and washing floors, and washing dishes. Our football team had their first game of the season - we won - so the evening has been a little more relaxing. Though there is still laundry to finish and supper dishes to clean up.
I'm not working tomorrow and Tuesday is Canada Day so I can sleep in and take things easy. I certainly won't be doing any yard work!
Hope everyone is having/had a good weekend.

5 comments:
Despite the rain, it sounds like the move went well! Here's to Independant Living...HUZZAH!!
Two hours? WOW!! Glad the move went as smoothly as possible despite the weather (yikes, that is some rain!).
Take care
x
I'm glad to read it went well, in spite of the rain. Obviously your daughter is speaking to you again. :-)
400 square feet is about what my living/kitchen area is on the main level. I've lived in smaller. It can be quite cosy and efficient with proper storage planning and double-duty furniture (ottomans with storage inside, things like that). Good job! Enjoy your two days and I hope you get to rest and recoup your energy. LOL.
This move will be good for everyone, I think. Four hundred square feet is small but Fuzzy Tales is right: it can be efficient and comfortable with some planning.
That rain is the worst on moving day. The last time I moved it was also raining. It was in and out at least. So as soon as the rain would calm down, we would make a run for it and try to load up as much as we could. We managed to finish it all on that particular day.
Vanessa Walters @ Stellar Movers
Post a Comment