There was an emergency number to call so I did. I reached an answering service, who asked for my name, address, life history, and eventually a daytime telephone number. I stopped her at this point and asked why she needed a daytime telephone number as I expected a call that evening. She said, she didn't know their schedule and wasn't to be able to promise I would get a call. I asked, why then was this an emergency number, and all she would do was repeat herself. Frustrated, I said to her "add this to the message, if they don't call me tonight, they can pick up this piece of shit equipment tomorrow morning". She informed me she didn't need to tolerate that language, I agreed and hung up.
Fully expecting I wouldn't get a call until Monday morning, I called the hotel in Saskatoon to cancel my reservation. I sent an e-mail to my boss to tell him I wouldn't be in the office in the morning and possibly all day.
About 20 minutes later, I got a call from a technician. I explained what the problem was - the pilot light wasn't lit and I wasn't able to get it to do so - and he asked what kind of water heater it was. A big white one as my answer. After a couple more questions I couldn't answer, he informed me that the company does not service water heaters on the weekend. Again, I asked why there was an emergency number listed...his response, if it is an emergency call 911.
I'm pretty certain I could have heated the water on my own at that point. I was so angry, I'm sure there was steam coming out my ears. Since the conversation was pointless, I hung up.
Then I did what every rational (?) unhappy customer would do. I took to Facebook and searched for the company's page. I found it and posted a snarky comment. The following morning at 8:02 I had a call. I explained to Linda what had happened and all they way through the conversation I heard, "Oh I'm sorry" and "Oh that shouldn't have happened". She told someone would be out between 9 and 9:30 and I said no, have someone here by 9 because I am having to take time off work to be here.
I suspect, based on the accent, that the individual who came to the door (at 9 a.m.) was the same technician I'd spoke to the night before. He questioned whether I'd had the annual service done - I had - and then the next few minutes doing exactly what I'd done the night before. I left him on his own and came upstairs. He came up at one point and told me he had to go back to the office to get a part, though why he hadn't brought out what he might need is beyond me. When he did finish up just after 10, he informed me that the gas line had been plugged with cat hair.
Seriously? At this point, I was totally fed up and didn't bother to question how a sealed line would have gotten plugged. Instead, I asked him to leave my home as I needed to get to work. I haven't yet done so, but I plan to send an e-mail to the company asking why I should remain a customer...
****
Speaking of leaving, my daughter took my ultimatum to heart and has found new accommodation. She's rented a very small apartment in downtown Regina. The former tenant moved out earlier in the month, so the landlord has renovated, installing new carpet, repainting and updating counter tops. I think she has about a foot of counter space based on the photos she's shown me.
Had she taken her time I suspect she might have found something a little larger but she's angry with me and this is her passive aggressive way of saying "here's what you are forcing me into." She's rented a truck and will be moving a week from tomorrow.
****
Tuesday to Thursday was spent in meetings in Saskatoon with the other supervisors and managers. For a change the time was actually fairly productive. Though one of our senior managers (the one who promised me the transfer and then reneged) showed us a video full of platitudes....if you work hard, you'll get more done; if you stretch, you'll be more flexible...and then replayed it suggesting it had such a powerful message.
On the other hand, the organizers had found a video of a TED talk, where the speaker told the story of a medic in Afghanistan who helped carry a severely wounded soldier to be the waiting helicopter. When the soldier was loaded, the medic leaned down and gave him a kiss on the forehead, before turning to assist another. As the speaker explained, our organizations need to create an environment of safety and trust, where we care for one another, and the business objectives will be met. That was a powerful message. I asked myself, do I really care for my employees? I think I do. What can I do to encourage the development of such an environment? Good questions, any suggestions?
****
It rained a lot this week. Yesterday morning, I took advantage of a brief break in the weather to mow the back lawn. I hadn't the mower away and it began to rain again. Hard!According to the local weather reports we got 13.6 millimeters of rain yesterday (just over a half inch) and 50.6 mm over the past week (about 2 inches).
The good news is that my containers are well-watered, the bad news is we're not forecast for any real heat for the next 14 days. I'd really like to see summer!
I've bought wood sealer for these sheds, but I need two full days of warm weather to thoroughly dry the wood and then another day or so to get the work done.
****
Today is another day of housework - this time around the increasing mound of boxes. Both my kids are working today so I'll have the house to myself. I can turn on the tunes and go to town. I've been watching an episode of Consumed (about a family of hoarders) and I'm feeling inspired.
Have a great weekend everyone!
4 comments:
RE: your water heater: I suggest finding another rental company. Seriously. The one in this townhouse is a rental from our utility company and I've kept it. It was replaced 4 years ago, I think. I didn't have to pay for the tank, but did the labour. They have certain companies they subcontract to, so I didn't have to pay very much.
The new one has crapped out twice, once on a Christmas Eve a couple of years ago. The utility company had someone out both times very quickly, within a couple of hours. It's worth it to me to keep renting, though it does cost more in the long run. There is no annual cleaning/maintenance, btw. And neither of the techs told me the problem was cat hair.
RE: your daughter: Well, she's moving sooner than I imagined she would! Hey, she's 32, not 22, she can deal with her choices. I have about a foot of counter space in this townhouse (they're pretty much all like this) and I've managed for 14 years. Okay, maybe 2 feet. :-)
RE: caring for your for staff: Do you really? I suppose some do. Made me ask myself the question whether I give a sh*t about my coworkers. Not the "new" ones who moved upstairs to our space in December. Don't actively dislike them...Wait, that's not true, either. NOT fond of the exec director, but I'm biased against working for women, from my past jobs. Never had a female boss who knew how to manage properly, who wasn't a snotty b*tch. (NOT suggesting you're like that!) Also really not fond of one coworker -- she used to work for us and I had a personal issue with her over now-angel Annie -- put that to rest with her for the sake of the "team", but I wouldn't be anywhere near her if I didn't have to, because oh, I hold grudges, never forget. She's the one with the loud, grating voice, given to ranting (though she's toned that down) whose office is directly across from my cubicle. Won't forgive my old boss for that one. (I really do hold grudges.)
As for fostering a caring environment...ha. Good luck. Since the amalgamation in our unit, and since I've turned 50, all I can think is will I be able to afford to work 80% after 60, because the thought of being there for another 15 years, full-time, makes me want to slash my wrists (almost).
Our insane rain was last week, with 70+ mm in about 3 days. Soggy. Haven't had to do much watering this year, and the weeds sure are doing well. :-)
Have "fun" cleaning! I'm just back from morning errands, doing laundry and watching Argentina and Iran at the World Cup. :)
Definitely find another rental company. If you have any more problems, they will be dealt with in the same quality manner. And leave a message on their Facebook page explaining exactly why they've lost a customer.
As for your daughter... Good. She'll learn what it's like having to exist on her own resources.
If you want to create a caring environment, I suggest you don't kiss anyone. On the other hand, it could be like my work-place, where my boss's idea of motivating his employees is to order them to feel good about their jobs. Really.
Holy crap. You've had quite the week...
Our water heater is "ours" but dur to the hardness of the water we get 5 years TOPS out of a unit. Seems unfair but that's just the way it is.
I'm glad your daughter has found a place--now be firm when she realizes it's NOT HOME WITH MOM and tell her "no" if you need to.
I have a nice place to work. Reading about other's experiences shows me JUST how very lucky and rare this is!
Happy cleaning! One more week and Scott goes on vacation and I get the house to MYSELF.
It is so frustrating to deal with that kind of customer service. I did chuckle at the image of you heating your own water with your anger steaming out your ears!
Post a Comment