Sunday, 5 October 2014

Life changing

This week we kicked our our charitable campaign at work.  In years past, the office has supported us by providing funding that subsidized the cost of the lunch.  (I may have mentioned this in previous posts so forgive me if I'm repeating myself).

Unfortunately this year, we didn't get the same support and as a result the price of lunch was passed on to the attendees.  We saw a significant drop in participation by nearly 50%.  It's a shame as this is our sole opportunity to get our message out to as many people as possible.

We've learned through experience that people contribute more when the speakers are able to touch the hearts and minds of those listening.  In other words we need to make them cry. That may sound callous, but our goal is to encourage our staff to donate to any charity of their choice.  Despite the recent job reductions, we still are very fortunate and in giving we have an impact on those in our community.

The speakers that were brought in from two charitable organizations were good but neither really elicited much emotion from the crowd.  I had decided a couple of weeks ago, if this were to occur I would share how my life had been impacted by a local charity. I'm going to tell you it was frightening to open up my life in front of my co-workers but I did it.  I hope it will have a positive impact.

Today I'm going to share my story with you.

Hi, my name is Eileen and I'm a single mom.  I've been a single mom for nearly 33 years now, and I always thought I was a pretty good mom.  Although my children didn't have the latest toys or the $100 running shoes, they always had a roof over their heads and decent food to eat.  They didn't get into trouble at school...much...and neither got arrested.  By the time they both reached the age of 18 I thought my worries were over.

I was wrong.

Seven years ago, early on a Sunday morning in April I got a telephone call that no parent would ever want to receive.  On the other end of the line was a nurse from the psychiatric ward of a hospital telling me that my child had made a failed attempt at suicide.  At that moment, the bottom dropped out of my world.

Like a mama bear with her cub I went into rescue mode.  I dropped everything and drove several hours to be with my baby.  But my baby wasn't a child anymore, so the doctors and nurses couldn't or wouldn't tell me anything.  I was so frightened, wanting nothing more than to protect my child, and so worried about the future might bring.

By the time I arrived home a few days later, the feelings of shame and guilt were overwhelming.  I didn't know what to do or where to turn.  This is where our local chapter of the Canadian Mental Health association comes into the story.  They provided information that helped me not to understand why it happened, but to accept that it had happened.  They gave me hope that I could support my child in their mental illness, and showed me that I too was in need of support.  They encouraged me to seek out others who had lived similar experiences.  I am beyond grateful for the support I received.

Today I still live with the fear that someday another attempt occur.  If it does, no matter the outcome, I know there is support for me within our community.

My point in sharing in my experience with you is that we don't always know or think about who our donations will impact.  I do know it is not always those who are less fortunate, it could be a family member, a friend, or a co-worker.  When you donate you truly do make a difference.  

Thank you.


4 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

Really awesome, Eileen. Mental health issues are pretty close to my heart, but that's because my previous bouts of depression have given me personal experience and therefore greater understanding and compassion. But I don't know what it would be like to be a parent with a child who is suffering one (or more) form of the disease.

May you never receive another call like that, and may your son or daughter know themselves well enough now to understand their triggers and be able to reach out for help.

Peace.

Katnip Lounge said...

well. holy crap. That's a terrible thing, indeed...and having been on the OTHER side of the door with no knob it certainly gave me a jolt of perspective.

Thank you. I'm saving this post for a "bad" day.

Olga said...

That was a very brave thing you did. Thank you for sharing this because you do never know who you are affecting with stories or with donations.

John Bellen said...

You're quite right about not knowing where one's actions will go, how they will affect things. It's good to let people know a personal aspect of this, though it must have been frightening indeed to write that. Good luck to your child and to you, and to all those in similar situations - I hope things are much better now.